Please consider the risk to your pets
At this time of the year rats and mice come sneaking into the house to avoid the cold and look for easy pickings. There are just a few things to know before you reach for the rat bait.
Poisoning from rodenticides are one of the most common types of poison cases seen by vets. The best way to avoid an animal being poisoned is to be careful with the use and application of the poisons.
Ensure they are put away in secure cupboards, remember that cats can climb and even if they don’t eat the poison they could knock it off the shelf where it could be made available to the less discerning pet (or child). When placing the bait ensure it is placed in a secure container that only rats and mice can get into.
The identification of what your pet may have eaten is paramount to enable the vet to treat your pet correctly. Take the container, packet, bottle with you so that they can identify the poison and treat accordingly.
Remember that our pets can be poisoned by eating a rat or mouse that has ingested poison! So watch for symptoms and if you have any concerns take your animal straight to the vet.
Symptoms differ depending on the type of poison, the amount ingested, the size, age and health of your pet. Many poisons have an anticoagulant that prevents the blood from clotting, causing hemoragging and death. Signs can appear over a period of upto 4 days after ingestion. It may be seen as breathing difficulty, seizures, diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, blood in urine, faeces, very pale gums, vomiting and more.
The new baits that are available can stay for upto 4 weeks in the animals system. They can be treated with an antidote, vitamin K, blood transfusions but unfortunately this may not work.
You will be surprised at the number of everyday household items we are keeping in our home that are poisonous to our animals.
If you have any concerns take your animal to the nearest vet!!
or call 0508 PET FIRST